Monday, November 10, 2014

"You've got that James Dean, daydream look in your eye"

Taylor Swift. Need I say more? This mega-babe had the entire world doubting that she could make another hit album, but with the release of 1989, she sold 1.287 million albums in the first week. Talk about woman crush. What I love about Taylor's new album is that she takes all the criticism she has received in the past and makes every song a pop punch in the face. Too many boyfriends? She's a wannabe? She has lost her touch? She's a terrible dancer? Her clever replies are woven into candid lyrics that Taylor never fails to deliver. She makes you feel like you're talking to your best friend over coffee. She makes you feel that cranking music as loud as you can will fix a bad day. She makes you feel like you shouldn't apologize for who you are. She makes you feel like you aren't alone. If that isn't musical genius, I don't know what is.

Here are some of my favorite lyrics from 1989, even though it is nearly impossible not to mention every single song of this album:

  • "We found Wonderland, you and I got lost in it, and we pretended it could last forever" Wonderland
  • "Oh my God, look at that face, you look like my next mistake" Blank Space
  • "You can hear it in the silence, you can feel it on the way home, you can see it with the lights out, you are in love" You Are In Love
  • "He's so tall and handsome as Hell, he's so bad but he does it so well" Wildest Dreams
  • "Baby, I know places we won't be found, and they'll be chasing their tails trying to track us down" I Know Places
  • "You're still all over me like a wine-stained dress I can't wear anymore" Clean

Thanks for being my theoretical BFF T-Swift. Next time you're in town, call me and we'll set up coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment